BELL RINGING

BELL RINGING INFORMATION      

 

Bell ringing at St Catherine’s has a long history, going back to the late 1400,s when the first bell was presented to the tower. The present church dates back to 1435 and was built on the site of an earlier and smaller church going back to 1190. 
The original bell from Rolf’s church still survives. It has no date but it was made by Thomas Potter of Norwich who was working from 1404 onwards. It is one of the oldest in Essex. The second was made in 1637 and a third added in 1704. Finally, in 1962, after the efforts of a dedicated bell ringer, Hilda Snowden, a further 3 bells were added to make up a proper peal. The bells are regularly rung for church services, weddings, funerals and celebrations.

Number of Bells, 6                                                                                    
Tenor 9.5 cwt
Treble - 3.5 cwt

Ringing times

Sunday Service 10.15 - 10.40 
Tuesday Practice 19.45 - 21.00 

 

                                                                 

 

 

Contacts 
Tower Captain: Laurence Carter                                                             
01787 472225
email : laurence@griffintowers.orangehome.co.uk

Secretary: David Patmore
01787 474047
email : dave.patmore@tiscali.co.uk

Steeplekeeper: David Jarvis

 Novices and experienced ringers welcome
 

 


Printer Printable Version